Athens Limestone Animal Shelter
Saving the Life of your Next Best Friend
Each year, the Athens Limestone Animal Shelter accepts more than 3,000 dogs and cats from animal control officers in Athens and Limestone County and from citizens who find strays or can no longer care for their pets.
Every effort is made to reunite lost animals with their families and to find loving, forever homes for every adoptable dog and cat.
Ways You Can Help
- Spay or neuter your pets. There are more animals needing homes than there are homes ready to accept them. Please don’t bring unwanted puppies and kittens into the world.
- Adopt your next pet from a shelter or rescue group instead of purchasing a dog or cat from a breeder or pet store. There are pure bred animals in shelters waiting for homes, and besides, what’s wrong with a mixed breed animal…it gives them character!
- Foster. Often times rescue groups require a dog to be out of the shelter for two weeks before they’ll accept him. Or a mother cat needs a quiet place to nurse her babies through the early weeks of life. Can you provide that temporary home that gives an animal a chance for a forever family?
- Volunteer. If you can walk a dog or pet a cat, you can be a valuable volunteer. Shelter animals need socialization that only people can give them.
- Donate. Pet food, cat litter, litter boxes, treats, towels, toys…
- Sponsor. We work with rescue groups throughout the country to find homes for our animals, and if we can help cover the cost of transporting these animals to those groups, they are generally more willing to accept them. $90 is the average cost of sponsorship.
- Support. Your financial support helps feed and provide veterinary care for thousands of cats, dogs, kittens, and puppies every year. You can send a check or give by credit card or PayPal on line.